Quinoa & Sweet Potato Balls with Spinach:
Quinoa balls recipe
- 1cup uncooked quinoa (you can use leftover from the day before)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 shallot onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- Salt&Pepper to taste (if cooking for your baby – avoid salt)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 175C
- Steam the sweet potatoes for 10-15minutes until a bit tender
- Meanwhile bring to boil 2 cups of water, add quinoa and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool down for a while.
- In a pan saute the onions and spinach with a little bit of olive oil for 3-5minutes until the spinach is completely witted down.
- In a large ball combine the spinach, onions and sweet potatoes and mash well.
- Add quinoa to the mixture
- Add the egg and mix well
- Line a baking sheet on to a tray
- Roll in balls and place on the baking sheet
- Bake for 25-30minutes until gold brown.
- Enjoy them with the whole family!
SPANISH QUINOA RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ½ cups QUINOA
- ½ cup Red Onion (minced, separated)
- 3-5 clovesGarlic (finely chopped)
- ½ large Red Bell Pepper (minced, separated)
- 1 14 oz can Diced Tomato (reserve juice)
- 1 15 oz can Kidney Beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 cups WATER, including drained tomato liquid
- ½ cup Cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- 1 small Cucumber (diced, peeled if waxed)
- 1 Avocado (seeded, peeled, diced)
- 1/3 cup Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Drain the tomato liquid into a measuring cup.
- Add enough water to equal 2 cups.
- Heat oil on medium high.
- Saute garlic, 2/3 of the onion and 1/3 of the red pepper for 2-3 minutes. [the rest of the onion and red pepper will be added raw at the end.]
- Add quinoa.
- Stir in tomatoes with green chilies, kidney beans, cumin and chili powder and water/tomato juice mixture.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to medium low and cook approx. 15 minutes. The liquid will be absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for about 10 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Allow quinoa to cool some, you want it to be warm, not piping hot when you add the rest of the ingredients.
- After quinoa has cooled some, add in the remaining onion and pepper pieces, and the chopped cilantro. Mix.
- Then add cucumber and avocado and lime juice (or sub lemon juice). Toss gently.
- And then serve.
- Give this spicy Spanish quinoa recipe a try.
Quinoa Flan Recipe:
- 200 extra fine flour
- 200 ml fresh milk
- 100 g Quinoa
- 150 Brown Sugar
- 60 g butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Vanilla pod salt
- Preparation and Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water and transfer to a saucepan.
- Add the milk, 100 g of brown sugar and the vanilla seeds (split open the pod lengthwise and scrape out).
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes and leaves the resulting cream to cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the shortcrust pastry.
- Mix the flour, 50 g of brown sugar, the melted butter, eggs and a pinch of salt.
- Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes, then roll out to a thickness of 5mm.
- Stir an egg into the cream mixture and whisk to a smooth custard.
- Line each cup of a muffin tin with the shortcrust pastry dough, prick with a fork an fill to the brim with the custard mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for 20 minutes.
Timballo of Bolivian quinoa:
- Serves 4
- 500 cl vegetable stock
- 120 g quinoa real
- 50 g pecorino romano grated
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 organic egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- black peppercorns
- Preparation and cooking time: about 1 hour
- Cook the quinoa in the vegetable stock until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- The quantity of stock should be enough to cook the quinoa well through, so add more or drain off, as necessary.
- Poach the egg yolks in boiling water for ½ minutes.
- Remove carefully and sprinkle with a generous twist of black pepper and the cheese.
- Add the whole egg to the quinoa.
- Half- fill a number of small baking molds with the quinoa.
- Press a cavity in the surfaces and delicately fill each with an egg yolk, taking care not to let the liquid seep out of the centre.
- Cover with the remaining quinoa.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, brown the bacon in a non-stock frying pan until crisp and leave it to dry on a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Turn out the timbales and arrange on plates.
- Decorate with the bacon and finish off with another twist of fresh black pepper to taste.