Come see how butcher block counter tops can invite heat and performance into your house. With correct care, they could be a stunning addition to your house for years to come back.
You could be contemplating them, however questioning in the event that they’re a good suggestion. Are they protected for meals? Will they maintain as much as water?
Butcher block counter tops can do all of it, including a wealthy, elegant wooden tone for atmosphere and basic type. Be taught extra on this full information!
You recognize me, I like to make properties really feel heat and comfortable, and butcher block is an ideal method to do it! In our not too long ago completed basement bar, we determined so as to add heat and a delicate, gentle end with these stunning counter tops.
Butcher block isn’t only for one design aesthetic, both. Sure, it suits with conventional and farmhouse type. However even fashionable type can use the heat of wooden and nonetheless really feel glossy.
We additionally focus on different supplies, together with laminate, strong floor, and concrete on this publish about types of countertop edges.
Use the drop down Desk of Contents menu to navigate this publish, and don’t neglect to pin it and save for later!
What Is Butcher Block?
Butcher block, additionally referred to as butcher’s block, is a wooden floor that’s fabricated from slim strips of wooden glued collectively and sanded to create one thick, clean slab. It’s a sturdy countertop materials, in addition to a lovely one.
Typically when folks confer with wooden counter tops, they’re actually speaking about butcher block. Many wooden counter tops are maple, though oak, walnut, cherry, hickory, and teak are different common choices.
You’ll be able to stain butcher block counter tops to any coloration you want, or you possibly can merely seal them their pure coloration.
Steadily Requested Questions
No, sizzling pots and pans can burn wooden counters and even trigger it to crack. It’s greatest to make use of a trivet or sizzling pad to guard the floor from warmth.
Butcher block counters are sanitary as soon as they’re correctly sealed. If left unsealed, they may take in germs and micro organism and will likely be unsafe for meals preparation. Correctly sealed, they’re completely protected and sanitary for meals prep. They do have to be resealed commonly.
Butcher block will be made out of maple, oak, cherry, hickory, teak, bamboo, at extra. At a considerably increased value, you possibly can pay a craftsman to make butcherblock from just about any wooden.
Butcher block is an reasonably priced countertop possibility, with the counter tops themselves starting from $23-$60 per sq. foot. Set up, after all, will likely be a further charge.
Professionals and Cons of Butcher Block Counter tops
- Provides heat – The wooden tones of butcher block add a comfy look to any house.
- Straightforward to customise – Select the kind of wooden, coloration, and end you need.
- May be refinished – You’ll be able to sand down your end and alter your stain coloration to match your new design.
- Low value – In comparison with different countertop choices, butcher block prices much less per sq. foot.
- DIY set up – Skilled DIYers can set up wooden counter tops themselves. Professional set up additionally prices lower than different options.
- Straightforward to wash – Every day cleansing is straightforward with a moist clear and dish cleaning soap. It doesn’t require any fancy or costly cleaners.
- Lengthy lifespan – With correct care, butcher block counters can last as long as 20 years. Laminate counter tops sometimes have to be changed between 10 and 15 years.
- Not waterproof – Butcher block may be very delicate to water. They are often put in round a sink if they’re sealed very nicely, re-sealed month-to-month, and dried straight away once they change into moist. Butcher block counter tops can are not advisable for bogs due to the publicity to moisture.
- Dent simply – Wooden is of course delicate, so it isn’t a shock that butcher block counter tops can change into dinged, dented, and scratched. Embrace this look, and you should definitely use a reducing board when utilizing a knife.
- Can burn – The identical tip applies when dealing with sizzling pots and pans. They will burn and even crack wooden counters, so it’s greatest to make use of a trivet or sizzling pad beneath to guard the floor.
- Can develop and contract – Similar to wood flooring, butcher block can develop in heat temperatures and contract when it’s cool. In excessive temperatures, they will warp and even crack.
The place to Use Butcher Block Counter tops
Whereas it isn’t advisable to be used in bogs as a result of it isn’t probably the most moisture-resistant possibility, there are such a lot of methods to make use of butcher block.
Butcher Block Stain
How do you end them? You’ll be able to stain them, seal with polyurethane, select a matte or shiny end, or just situation with mineral oil.
Ending with mineral oil requires probably the most repairs, because you’ll have to reapply month-to-month because the wooden dries out. Nevertheless, it’s additionally the simplest to do, because you don’t have to sand something right down to refinish the floor.
In the long run, it comes right down to what you need, how you intend to make use of your floor, and the way a lot work you’re prepared to place into sustaining your counter tops.
Should you’ll be staining, keep in mind to pattern a small part first, as a result of woods deal with stains and colours in a different way. See our favourite stain and sealant possibility within the sources part on the finish of this publish.
Preserve Wooden Counter tops
Butcher block has a repute for being excessive upkeep – don’t let that deter you. With the right care, your butcher block counter tops can keep stunning for years to come back.
Every day Care
- Wooden is absorbent and might stain, so it’s vital to care for small mishaps in a well timed method.
- You should utilize a nylon scraper to calmly scrape the floor free from something that has dried in place. To wipe the floor, use a fabric dampened with water and delicate dishwashing cleaning soap.
- Bear in mind to by no means saturate wooden counter tops with water. In the event that they do change into overly moist, be sure that to dry them fully as quickly as attainable.
- For recent stains, attempt sprinkling them with baking soda. Rub it in then go away it to soak up the stain for a couple of minutes. Dampen a fabric or sponge with delicate dish cleaning soap or undiluted vinegar, and use it to clean on the stain.
- Or, sprinkle some coarse salt on the stain, then rub it with half a lemon. The stain might disappear fully, but when it doesn’t you possibly can go away it for a few days, then attempt going over it with dish cleaning soap or vinegar.
Butcher block may also be sanded calmly with a high-grit sandpaper to take away stains.
Let’s be in contact! Obtain unique content material, together with never-seen-before photographs, our favourite house decor DIYs and extra!