The most effective recipe for double chocolate chip cookies should clearly embody further doses of chocolate. These soft-baked thick and chunky cookies are as indulgent as they give the impression of being: wealthy and fudge-like with chewy facilities, barely crisp edges, and oodles of melty chocolate chips in every superb chunk.
It’s the chocolate dough recipe I’ve been making for years and even included it in my cookbook filled with peanut butter cups. There’s no motive to stray from this primary chocolate dough!
Included in my cookbooks and used throughout my web site, this cookie dough is my go-to base for chocolate cookies. There’s a motive I work with this dough usually: it’s as a result of it WORKS and it’s pointless to stray from a examined, reliable recipe. (That’s additionally scrumptious!)
Why You’ll Love These Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
My group and I obtain many questions on turning this base chocolate dough into common double chocolate chip cookies, so I figured having a separate spot for that specific cookie recipe could be splendid for chocolate cookie lovers all over the place. And I’m guessing that’s you. 😉
Seize These Components
The entire components required for this cookie recipe are kitchen staples. You want:
- Moist components: Butter, white & brown sugars, egg, vanilla extract, and milk
- Dry components: Flour, unsweetened pure cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
You additionally want chocolate chips and I like to recommend semi-sweet. Mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or different flavors akin to peanut butter chips or butterscotch morsels work too. You can even maintain them plain and roll in chopped pecans to make chocolate turtle cookies.
Success Tip: Use Pure Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
As a result of the double chocolate chip cookies use baking soda, it’s vital to make use of pure cocoa powder because it’s acidic. You can get away with dutch-process right here (since brown sugar can also be acidic), however the cookies might lose form and style dense. To keep away from points, I like to recommend pure. For additional data, you possibly can learn in regards to the variations between pure and dutch course of cocoa powder.
Do you know? Cocoa powder is a really mild, but drying ingredient. To maintain the cookies tender and moist, the dough wants liquid like milk. That’s why chocolate cake requires a lot liquid.
Overview: How you can Make Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Cream the butter and each sugars collectively earlier than including the egg and vanilla extract. Individually, whisk the dry components collectively and don’t be involved about how little flour this recipe requires. (Keep in mind that cocoa powder is one other dry ingredient to bulk up the dough.) Mix moist and dry components, then beat within the milk after which the chocolate chips.
Make sure you use correct room temperature butter, which ought to nonetheless be cool to the contact at about 65°F (18°C). If it’s too chilly, it can’t cream and if it’s melty within the slightest, your cookies will likely be a large number.
Success Tip: Chill the Dough
The dough undoubtedly comes collectively simply, however it’s sticky and cheesy because of the cocoa powder mixing with liquid. Subsequently, the dough requires chilling earlier than you possibly can form and bake. I like to recommend at the very least 3 hours within the fridge, however you can too refrigerate it in a single day. Want cookies proper NOW? Strive large chocolate chip cookies or Nutella chocolate chip cookies.
Anticipate a sticky, cheesy dough:
How you can Form The Cookie Dough
This cookie dough remains to be a bit sticky even in case you’ve chilled it, however it’s rather more compact because it’s chilly. Use a cookie scoop that will help you portion the sticky dough. The medium dimension is ideal as a result of every dough ball must be round 1.5 Tablespoons. After scooping the dough, form it as greatest you possibly can into tall column-like balls. I do know that sounds odd, however it’s the trick I educate when making common chocolate chip cookies. Taller balls of chilled dough = thicker baked cookies.
The cookie dough will undoubtedly persist with your palms in the course of the shaping step, so have a kitchen towel or paper towel close by. I often wipe my palms clear after each few cookie dough balls as a result of clear palms make rolling simpler. (Similar tip I like to recommend for peanut butter stuffed brownie cookies.)
If you happen to’re searching for cookie cutter fashion cookies, listed below are my chocolate sugar cookies.
Get your cookies to unfold: The cookies take at the very least 11 minutes to bake, nevertheless in the event that they aren’t actually spreading by minute 9, take away them from the oven and calmly bang the baking sheet on the counter 2-3x. This helps provoke that unfold. Return to the oven for a pair extra minutes.
How Do You Know When Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Are Carried out?
It’s arduous to see when the cookies are performed as a result of they’re so darkish. As a substitute, give a cookie a light-weight faucet on the sting and if it feels barely set, they’re performed. Watch out with this as a result of they’re scorching! The facilities will nonetheless look very delicate and that’s okay. They often take about 11-12 minutes.
Can I Freeze the Cookie Dough Balls?
Sure, as soon as portioned and earlier than baking, the chocolate cookie dough balls freeze fantastically. If the dough balls are a bit sticky, chill them within the fridge for 30-60 minutes first. Place the balls in a single layer in a zipped-top freezer bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. You’ll be able to take a couple of dough balls out of the freezer at a time, and bake (no must thaw) every time that chocolate craving hits. Merely add one other minute to the bake time. Learn my full tutorial on how you can freeze cookie dough right here.
After publishing 200+ examined cookie recipes and three cookbooks, I do know what works and what doesn’t, so try my prime cookie baking success suggestions in case you’re ever having bother. Moreover, my whole group and I put collectively our beneficial greatest instruments for baking cookies in case you want top-rated recommendations. Completely happy baking!
These soft-baked thick and chunky double chocolate chip cookies are wealthy and fudge-like with chewy facilities, barely crisp edges, and oodles of melty chocolate chips in every superb chunk. The dough wants to sit back for at the very least 3 hours, however you may make it forward of time and refrigerate in a single day.
- Preliminary notice: This cookie dough requires at the very least 3 hours of chilling, however I desire to sit back the dough in a single day. The colder the dough, the thicker the cookies.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar collectively on medium excessive pace till fluffy and light-weight in colour, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, after which beat on excessive pace till mixed. Scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl as wanted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt collectively till mixed. With the mixer operating on low pace, slowly pour into the moist components. Beat on low till mixed. The cookie dough will likely be fairly thick. Change to excessive pace and beat within the milk, then the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will likely be sticky and cheesy. Cowl dough tightly and chill within the fridge for at the very least 3 hours and as much as 3 days. Chilling is obligatory for this sticky cookie dough.
- Take away cookie dough from the fridge and permit to sit down at room temperature for 10 minutes. If the cookie dough chilled longer than 3 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. This makes the chilled cookie dough simpler to scoop and roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line massive baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (All the time beneficial for cookies.) Put aside.
- Scoop and roll dough, a heaping 1.5 Tablespoons of dough every, into balls. To make sure a thicker cookie, make the balls taller than they’re large (virtually like a cylinder or column). Prepare 2-3 inches aside on the baking sheets. The cookie dough is definitely sticky, so wipe your palms clear after each few balls of dough you form.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes or till the sides seem set and the facilities nonetheless look delicate. Tip: In the event that they aren’t actually spreading by minute 9, take away them from the oven and calmly bang the baking sheet on the counter 2-3x. This helps provoke that unfold. Return to the oven to proceed baking.
- Cool cookies for five minutes on the baking sheet. Throughout this time, I wish to press a couple of extra chocolate chips into the tops of the nice and cozy cookies. (That is non-compulsory and just for seems.) Switch to cooling rack to chill utterly. The cookies will barely deflate as they cool.
- Cowl leftover cookies tightly and retailer at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You can also make the cookie dough and chill it within the fridge for as much as 3 days (step 3). Baked cookies freeze nicely for as much as 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze nicely for as much as 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an additional minute, no must thaw. Try my suggestions + methods for how you can freeze cookie dough.
- Bigger Batch: The recipe is straightforward to double in 1 mixing bowl with out overwhelming your mixer. Merely double all the cookie dough components. Dough chill time stays the identical.
- Pure Cocoa Powder: Have you learnt the distinction between pure cocoa powder and dutch-process cocoa powder? Use pure on this dough.
- Different Add-Ins: As a substitute of chocolate chips within the dough, you should utilize the identical quantity of peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, M&Ms, chopped nuts, or butterscotch chips.
- Make sure to try my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.
Key phrases: double chocolate chip cookies
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.