This French onion dip recipe is so a lot better (and higher for you!) than store-bought soup mixes.
Caramelized onions are combined right into a creamy mixture of bitter cream, and mayonnaise, with some savory seasonings. An ideal dip.
What’s French Onion Dip?
This do-it-yourself French onion dip recipe has been gracing picnics and events for over 50 years! It’s low carb, straightforward to make, and tastes nice. What’s to not love?
- With solely 6 components this crowd-pleasing basic is a favourite.
- It’s easy to make with simply two straightforward steps.
- Skip the onion soup combine, this recipe is created from scratch with recent components and no preservatives, addititves or added MSG.
- It’s versatile sufficient to be a burger unfold or a dip for veggies and crackers, however it’s additionally nice as a topping for baked potatoes, baste rooster breasts earlier than grilling them, or skinny it out with milk for an on the spot salad dressing.
Elements for Do-it-yourself French Onion Dip
Onions – Caramelized onions add sweetness and taste. One of the best onions for French onion dip are candy Vidalia onions, or Walla Walla onions. Yellow onions work effectively too.
Caramelized onions do have to be just a little bit candy and white onions aren’t candy sufficient whereas pink onions are a bit too candy.
Bitter Cream/Mayonnaise – Bitter cream provides tang whereas and mayo makes a creamy base for French onion dip. Greek yogurt could be switched out for half the bitter cream for a tangier taste.
Seasonings –Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder are the one savory seasonings you want. Substitute Worcestershire with low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Cream Cheese Variation – In the event you’d like a thicker creamy texture, soften 4 oz of cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer till fluffy. Cut back the bitter cream by 1/4 cup and proceed with the recipe as written.
Contemporary herbs could be added. Parsley, recent chives, and thyme are nice choices.
Seasonings – We hold them easy so permit the flavour of the caramelized onions to shine. Sprinkle in just a little little bit of onion powder or dried onion for extra onion taste! Garnish with chives or paprika.
Tips on how to Make French Onion Dip
- Saute chopped onions in butter in a skillet till they’re tender and golden brown.
- Mix the remaining components in a bowl (per recipe beneath) and add cooled onions.
- Season with salt & black pepper to style and chill no less than 2 hours earlier than serving.
What to Serve with French Onion Dip
- Veggies: celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower florets are an actual hit and look spectacular on a serving platter.
- Bread: mini-toasts, crostini, pretzel rods, breadsticks, crackers, and chips pair completely with this dip.
How Lengthy Does it Final?
Leftover French onion dip will hold about 7 days within the fridge coated. Stir earlier than serving. Bitter cream doesn’t freeze or thaw effectively, so it’s higher simply to make this dip recent each time!
Extra Dip Recipes to Strive
Did your folks love this French Onion Dip? Go away us a score and a remark beneath!
French Onion Dip
That is a straightforward creamy dip loaded with caramelized onions. Serve chilled together with your favourite dippers!
Mix onion and butter in a small pan and prepare dinner over low warmth till the onion is golden. Make certain to not brown the onion, it is a very low and gradual course of and may take about 20-Half-hour or so. Cool utterly.
Stir remaining components and refrigerate for no less than 2 hours earlier than serving.
Energy: 222 | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 22g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 9g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Diet info offered is an estimate and can differ based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my picture use coverage right here.