These lemon blueberry cupcakes are supremely delicate and moist with contemporary lemon taste. Candy blueberries dot each single chunk and you may end them off with my tangy, extremely creamy cream cheese frosting. Tasters and readers have been raving about this recipe for years!
Reader Lauren commented: “Fabulous! The cake is so moist and bursting with taste. The frosting is actually delectable. Most important tip: frost rapidly or refrigerate earlier than frosting because it does heat up in a short time within the piping bag!”
I’ve made lemon blueberry cake extra instances than I can rely. Have you ever ever tried it? It’s a highly regarded cake recipe and I even made a number of of them for a wedding ceremony reception. I used to be waist deep in cake batter and in some way flung cake batter INTO MY EYE however the look on the bride’s face made eye-verything price it. 😉
At this time we’re turning it into cupcakes. They style like sunshine!
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Good contemporary lemon taste.
- Gentle, moist, & fluffy.
- Blueberries complement the tart lemon.
- Cream cheese frosting is nice, however not-at-all cloying.
- For additional lemon taste, you possibly can fill them with lemon curd.
- Crowd-pleasing dessert possibility (actually, these fly off the serving tray) that’s good for spring and summer time… or in the midst of winter while you crave some solar!
I initially revealed this lemon blueberry cupcake recipe in 2016 and have made them a number of instances since for varied events, child showers, bridal showers, birthday events, anniversaries, and different occasions. The recipe hasn’t modified apart from a slight replace to the frosting to assist it maintain form—you not want milk or cream.
Why This Recipe Works
We’re mainly making my lemon cupcakes with blueberries and a special frosting. The recipe stems from my lemon blueberry cake and you will discover a 6-inch variation over on my sunshine citrus cake web page. I like the cupcake model as a result of they pack extra lemon taste they usually’re truly a lot lighter than each desserts. The batter is so easy and comes along with 10 components.
Did You Know? Cupcakes are sometimes fluffier than layer desserts since you aren’t stacking them and subsequently weight isn’t packing them down.
And Did You Know This Too? You’re additionally working with much less batter, so that you don’t actually danger overmixing. You see, while you overmix batter, the flour’s gluten strands change into fairly elastic which ends up in a denser, considerably gummy-tasting baked good. If you happen to’ve ever made cupcakes or desserts that needs to be as fluffy as marshmallows and you find yourself with pound cake… overmixing may very well be the perpetrator.
Seize These 10 Components:
It is a no-frills cupcake recipe requiring a handful of primary baking components and a mixer to convey all of them collectively. Listed here are some key components you want:
- All-Function Flour: The cupcakes are fairly gentle utilizing a cautious ratio of moist to dry components, so cake flour isn’t actually vital. Simply use common all-purpose flour right here.
- Creamed Butter & Sugar: A base of creamed butter and sugar (as an alternative of melted butter or oil) usually helps obtain a delicate, cake-like construction. Be certain it’s correct room temperature butter.
- Entire Milk: Milk with fats equivalent to complete milk, buttermilk, or 2% milk is your best option right here. (Nondairy milk is nice in a pinch.)
- Lemon Zest & Juice: Seize a couple of lemons for this recipe. You want each the zest and juice as a result of every present one thing completely different. Lemon zest provides you a refreshing, gentle lemon taste, whereas the juice provides that acquainted tart tanginess usually related to the citrus. Beat the lemon zest with the butter and sugar as a result of fats carries taste.
Use a Zester & Juicer
- Citrus Zester or Grater: A superb portion of taste comes from the lemon zest, so this device is a necessity. I take advantage of and love this citrus zester. A cheese grater on a high-quality grating setting or a microplane work too.
- Citrus Juicer: In fact you possibly can simply squeeze out the juice by hand, however in case you love baking or cooking with citrus or take pleasure in fresh-squeezed juice, a citrus juicer is handy!
The batter is thick, which retains the blueberries suspended in every cupcake. Toss the berries in a bit flour earlier than folding into the batter, a secret trick that additionally helps stop them from sinking.
And to keep away from over-flowing, fill the cupcake liners solely 2/3 full:
Loads of blueberries in every chunk, simply as in case you have been making blueberry muffins!
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
Sure! Use the identical quantity and don’t thaw.
Can I Swap the Berries in These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes?
These cupcakes are a dialog starter and I do know from expertise after making them about 100x for varied occasions. Most company LOVE them with blueberries, however some have requested in case you can put together them with raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries. The reply is sure! Merely change the blueberries together with your favourite berry. Slice the blackberries in half and use chopped strawberries.
#1 Success Tip for Cream Cheese Frosting
The highest frosting alternative for right this moment’s lemon blueberry cupcakes is all the time a tangy cream cheese frosting. The frosting makes use of rather less butter and confectioners’ sugar from my standard cream cheese frosting (what I take advantage of most frequently for carrot cake cupcakes) and lots of recognize that it’s not fairly as heavy nor candy. One reader, Victoria, stated: “…So gentle with nice lemon taste and juicy berries! And the cream cheese icing isn’t too candy.”
Irrespective of the ratios or amount of components, all the time be sure you’re utilizing block cream cheese when making ready cream cheese frosting. You do not need to make use of spreadable cream cheese (the type you utilize on bagels) as a result of your frosting will flip to liquid.
Different Frosting Choices
Associates, household, and readers have swapped the frosting for different choices together with:
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream: Flippantly candy and holds intricate piped form.
- Whipped Frosting: Fluffy texture, evenly candy, holds piped form, simple to make.
- Lemon Buttercream: For excessive lemon taste!
- Vanilla Buttercream: Nice primary alternative that holds piped form.
- Whipped Cream: Lightest possibility and hardly candy. That is what I like to make use of once I fill the cupcakes with lemon curd.
Once more, the cream cheese frosting included within the recipe beneath is my go-to. It received’t keep an excellent intricate piped form, however holds a primary swirl with a spherical tip equivalent to Ateco #808 piping tip. If you happen to’re simply studying how one can use piping ideas, my piping ideas information is a useful useful resource.
Are you bringing these cupcakes to a celebration? I take advantage of this cupcake service on a regular basis to assist retailer and transport frosted cupcakes.
Let my staff and I do know in case you do that recipe. You can too comply with alongside on Fb or subscribe by way of e-mail to obtain my greatest baking recipes. One thing candy in your inbox!
Deliciously easy lemon blueberry cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting. They’re candy, fluffy, and make any day really feel like summertime!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipes yields about 15 cupcakes, so that you’ll have a 2nd batch.
- Make the batter: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest collectively on medium-high pace in a big bowl till creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl as wanted. Add eggs and vanilla extract, after which beat on medium-high pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl as wanted. Add the dry components after which flip the mixer on low pace and slowly pour within the milk and lemon juice. Beat till simply mixed. Fold within the floured blueberries. Don’t overmix.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners—fill solely 2/3 full to keep away from spilling over the perimeters. Bake for 18–21 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. For round 30–36 mini cupcakes, bake for about 11–13 minutes, similar oven temperature. Permit the cupcakes to chill utterly earlier than frosting.
- Make the frosting: In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium pace till easy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and beat on low pace for 30 seconds, then flip the mixer as much as medium-high pace and beat for two full minutes. Style and add an additional pinch of salt if desired. If you happen to plan to frost intricate designs with this frosting, refrigerate it for a minimum of 20 minutes first.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and prime with elective garnish, if desired. I used Ateco #808 piping tip within the pictured cupcakes. You would additionally use a small icing spatula. Refrigerate adorned cupcakes uncovered for a minimum of 20 minutes to assist set the frosting earlier than serving.
- Cowl and retailer leftover cupcakes within the fridge for as much as 5 days. A cupcake service makes storing and transporting simple.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Plain cupcakes could be made forward 1 day upfront, coated, and saved at room temperature or within the fridge. Frosting can be made 1 day upfront, coated, and saved within the fridge. If frosting is thick/stiff after refrigerating, convey to room temperature and beat it together with your mixer for a minute to assist loosen it up. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes could be frozen as much as 2–3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge.
- Particular Instruments: Electrical Mixer, Citrus Zester, Citrus Juicer, Cupcake Pan, Disposable Piping Baggage or Reusable Piping Baggage, Ateco #808 Piping Tip, Cupcake Provider
- Entire Milk or Buttermilk: I normally use buttermilk. Buttermilk helps produce supremely moist lemon cupcakes. If you happen to don’t have buttermilk, use complete milk as an alternative. You need to use decrease fats or nondairy milks in a pinch, however the cupcakes received’t style almost as wealthy and moist.
- Room Temperature Components: All refrigerated objects needs to be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Learn right here for extra info.
- Quantity of Batter/6-Inch Cake: This recipe yields between 3-4 cups of batter which is useful in case you’re reviewing the Cake Pan & Conversions web page. You need to use this batter for a 6-inch layer cake and see my 6-inch cake web page for full particulars and directions.
- 9-Inch Cake: Comply with my Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe.
- Filling with Lemon Curd: You possibly can fill these cooled cupcakes with lemon curd if desired. If you happen to want it, my Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes embody detailed directions and a video for filling cupcakes.
Key phrases: lemon blueberry cupcakes
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail sequence is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.