Welcome to The Betty Rocker Present, the place to be to nourish your thoughts, love your physique, and rock your life.
It’s so nice to have you ever right here as I welcome again the one and solely Dr. Stacy Sims, who’s a scientist, educator and chief within the discipline of ladies particular analysis in well being, diet and train. Over time many ladies have been basing their coaching and diet methods round analysis completed on males, as a result of ladies’s hormones had been seen as “too sophisticated” – as we had been actually being disregarded of the analysis.
It’s no marvel so many of ladies have struggled with understanding what’s occurring with their our bodies, why they’re not responding to the generally prescribed food plan and train methods, and why we so usually really feel dismissed by medical doctors for our very legitimate well being considerations. Dr. Sims is on a mission to assist us with women-specific scientific info which you can apply instantly!
Dr Sims served as an train physiologist and diet scientist at Stanford College from 2007 by 2012. Her revolutionary e book, Roar, sparked a motion in the best way we as ladies strategy our coaching throughout our lifespan, and her new e book, Subsequent Degree is designed particularly for the peri and submit menopausal feminine athlete.
I like to recommend each of those books, and likewise having a take heed to the 2-part podcast we did earlier in Season 2 to brush up on the menstrual cycle and its adjustments throughout our lifespan, in addition to particular methods you may implement to get probably the most out of your wonderful feminine physique at all ages and life stage.
These methods are all relevant to your Betty Rocker applications and challenges, and can assist you perceive why they work so effectively and empower you to get much more snug adjusting and customizing issues to the place you’re at in your life.
Immediately, we’re persevering with our dialog with some extra in depth dialogue of dietary methods as they relate to WOMEN particularly, together with low carb diets, intermittent fasting and the ketogenic food plan; nutrient timing, why it’s important to concentrate on muscle over fats loss, and we’ll be discussing optimum coaching methods for ladies in any respect ages, together with peri and submit menopause, in addition to hormone alternative remedy and adaptogenic herbs.
It is a save and bookmark for reference episode. Thanks for being right here!
“My imaginative and prescient is a world of wholesome ladies who perceive their our bodies, know the right way to work with their distinctive physiology, know their intervals are ergogenic aids and create positivity round being a girl in sport.
Collectively we are able to shift the harmful narrative and elevate ladies in analysis, science, and sport.”
On this episode, you’ll uncover:
Welcoming again Dr. Stacy Sims (1:28)
- Dr Sims’ books: Roar and Subsequent Degree
- Hearken to half 1 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: diet and coaching by the menstrual cycle
- Hearken to half 2 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: diet and coaching for ladies in peri and submit menopause, fad diets and extra
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Ladies are Not Small Males
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Menopause for Athletes
What drives Dr. Sims to pursue this work (4:23)
- Empowering ladies of all ages
- Breaking down the destructive stereotypes of ladies’s life stage transitions
- The cultural filter we don’t at all times notice we’re working by
- Ladies’s efficiency potential and the bias within the analysis
- How food plan tradition has failed ladies
Do low carb diets serve ladies’s physiology? (7:59)
- Dr Sims weblog submit: Feminine Athletes Want Carbohydrates
- Metabolic variations between women and men
- Estrogen’s impression on urge for food
- Mind variations between women and men
Why the ketogenic food plan and intermittent fasting may go effectively for males however not ladies (9:31)
- Analysis on these diets was completed on male take a look at topics
- Physique composition considerations with the ketogenic food plan for ladies
- Lack of variety within the keto food plan for the intestine microbiome
- Why you burn muscle on the ketogenic food plan
Why measuring physique composition is best than weighing your self on the dimensions (13:34)
- How “weight reduction” continues to be a misunderstood aim that isn’t serving to ladies see actual progress
- The issues that affect your scale weight
- The distinction in composition between muscle and fats
- Why you look leaner if you acquire muscle
Fueling round your exercises and the hazard of low power availability (LEA) (15:57)
- Why are we nonetheless demonizing carbohydrates?
- How the physique naturally fluctuates between gasoline sources
- The nourishment the physique wants simply to exist vs what it wants after we do each day actions
- How the stress of coaching creates variations (after we are fueled)
- How the stress of coaching impacts our thyroid and metabolism after we are under-fueled and coaching
The fallacy of “eat much less, train extra” (20:04)
- The best way the “eat much less” mindset performs into ladies feeling they need to be smaller and take up much less area
- The unsuitable form of stress that the “train extra” mindset creates
- The problems with intestine well being, cardiovascular well being and psychological well being from consuming much less
Ladies don’t must shrink for society (21:08)
- The cultural push to “be a sure dimension”
- The unimaginable stress on ladies to be smaller
- Ladies ought to take up as a lot area as they like!
- What Stacy’s daughter discovered from her pals mother about “what she wanted to do to see her abs”
Consuming to be STRONG, not consuming much less (23:50)
- The misperception about why we must always focus extra on muscle
- How exhausting it’s to construct muscle, not to mention “get cumbersome”
- The explanation why muscle is so useful
- Shifting our focus away from fats loss and towards muscular energy as the first aim
Turning into independent at any age and the the reason why we practice (27:32)
- Strengthening the physique now determines high quality of life later in life
- Defining your long run imaginative and prescient
- Constructing and preserving lean muscle
- Desirous about how one can arrange the long run model of your self with the actions you’re taking right this moment
How peri and submit menopausal ladies can set themselves up for achievement (30:10)
- Indicators of menopause and adjustments ladies undergo
- The best way estrogen and progesterone adjustments impression blood sugar stability
- The best way ladies on this life stage can bypass the hormone fluctuation to stimulate muscle progress
- Why heavier lifting (than you had been earlier than) is crucial to ladies on this life stage
- Why protein consumption and nutrient timing is crucial to ladies on this life stage
- Reviewing the best way estrogen and progesterone impression our physique composition objectives after we’re nonetheless biking often
- The primary and second half of the menstrual cycle and the way our physique responds
- How our hormones change by the phases of ladies’s life cycle
- Why it’s important to not take a “no days off” strategy in peri and submit menopause
Immediately’s podcast is dropped at you by ROCK AND RESTORE, my free-form important amino acid formulation. This nice tasting fruit punch formulation incorporates 30 servings of all 9 of the important amino acids (together with the BCAA’s) of their free type for fast absorption and metabolic use so you may rock your exercises, construct lean muscle, get better quicker, enhance your immune system and enhance cognitive perform.
The makes use of and advantages of adaptogenic herbs (43:01)
- Weblog submit: 6 Adaptogens that assist hormone stability
- Dr. Sims’ premium membership (contains many studying modules, together with one about adaptogenic herbs)
- Peri-menopause signs and the way they’re usually addressed by medical doctors
- Hormone alternative remedy (HRT) as a instrument within the toolbox
- What adaptogens are and the way they work with the physique
- The advantages of ashwaghanda
- How the physique adjusts to the presence of the adaptogens
- The advantages of schisandra
The way to join with Dr. Stacy Sims and her work (52:36)
If you’re serious about how one can implement the coaching methods she talked about into your individual life and are feeling overwhelmed by the energy coaching or heavy lifting part, I actually encourage you to strategy that with the mentality of lifting heav-IER than you’re proper now. If you happen to’re model new and simply beginning to train continuously, construct a stable base with my foundational body weight applications.
If you happen to’ve constructed a powerful basis or base with body weight exercises, think about including in dumbbells for additional resistance. If you happen to’ve been in a rut with gentle dumbbells, think about going up in weight with what you’re at present utilizing so you may’t do as many reps.
When you get to the purpose the place you may’t comfortably maintain the dumbbells however really feel like you can problem your self additional, that’s when it’s time to check out barbells and including weight with weight plates. There’s a progressive side to this, so don’t really feel like you want to go from zero to barbells or that that’s the solely approach to progress.
Dr. Sims and I mentioned this within the first 2 episodes we did collectively, that going heavier is relative to every of us. You need to do that safely, so constructing a basis first is crucial.
I educate you all of this in my problem applications in Rock Your Life. We’ve every part from foundational body weight problem applications, to challenges that embody dumbbells and easy dwelling exercise gear, all the best way as much as weight coaching challenges that you simply do with heavier weight, and I educate you all of the progressions.
Immediately’s podcast is dropped at you by ROCK YOUR LIFE, my on-line dwelling exercise studio and uplifting ladies’s health neighborhood the place you may get pleasure from applications and challenges to construct energy for constant, sustainable progress. Get pleasure from new lessons every week, wholesome recipes, a personal ladies’s solely assist neighborhood and MORE!
So if you happen to’re in peri or submit menopause, actually begin to consider how one can practice to extend the problem to your muscle tissue with resistance coaching, and construct on the place you at present are. Do these explosive plyometric strikes that I write into your applications, as they’re way more supportive to your objectives than lengthy endurance cardio, particularly in peri and submit menopause.
If you happen to’re in that peri or submit menopause life stage, you need to take note of the “polarity” of your coaching depth. If a exercise program is written with 5 days in a row, adapt it on your life stage and do 2 days on, 1 day without work, or work out each different day for example. This lets you get better higher, and hit your exercises tougher if you do them and get higher leads to the absence of the circulating estrogen progesterone – assuming you’re additionally fueling appropriately and consuming sufficient protein and complete meals carbs.
And if you happen to’re nonetheless having a daily cycle, you may profit from persevering with to problem your physique with common train and balanced diet as effectively. Your biking estrogen and progesterone offer you an edge to make your whole exercises much more efficient, nevertheless it’s important that you simply’re fueling appropriately round your exercises, and never overtraining.
I’ve been having ongoing conversations about ALL of those subjects and so many extra inside Rock Your Life, my on-line dwelling exercise studio and ladies’s health neighborhood. In my common workplace hours I’m in a position to join with the members and reply their questions and share extra info that pertains to them particularly.
If you happen to’re not a member but, I extremely encourage you to hitch us, you will get a 30 day trial and are available see what you’ve been lacking.
I’ve obtained an enormous class library with over 1000 lessons of every type, together with foundational body weight energy coaching, exercises the place you may add in some easy dwelling exercise gear like dumbbells and stretchy bands, all the best way as much as heavier weight coaching lessons. There are barre lessons, yoga lessons, mobility lessons, plyometrics and circuit. Plus I’ve obtained dozens of guided exercise challenges to provide the good sequence to progress by. I see unimaginable tales on daily basis from my Rock Your life dwelling health club members, and with the ability to assist them in our personal ladies’s health neighborhood alongside the Group Betty Rocker coaches is an excellent expertise.
Dr Sims and I each share a mission of empowering ladies with instruments and data and one of the best factor I supply is Rock Your Life. Doing 1-off exercises is nice, doing a program is nice, however having ongoing challenges and applications over time so you may keep constant and construct a wholesome way of life with steering from the coaches is absolutely the BEST for seeing lasting outcomes and feeling supported in your journey.
I encourage you to seize that 30 day trial so you may see what it’s all about and take your time having fun with every part I’ve to supply with none stress or obligation.
Thanks a lot for listening to right this moment’s present, and for caring about your well being. Thanks for sharing these podcast episodes along with your family and friends and serving to to empower different ladies.
I look ahead to our subsequent dialog.
Love The Betty Rocker Present? We do too!
Share it with your pals, and subscribe in your favourite podcast
participant to be alerted when new exhibits drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Be part of me for open and thought frightening discussions about well being, health, and the right way to
cease undermining ourselves – and begin taking significant motion that makes us
position fashions to others…
….and, pay attention to my intimate conversations with wonderful thought leaders, well being care
professionals, athletes and celebrities to study their secrets and techniques and insights for
overcoming life’s challenges, residing longer, more healthy, stronger and extra
New exhibits are launched each different week throughout Season 2 of The Betty Rocker Present.
The submit S2 – 14: Ladies Particular Diet and Coaching with Dr. Stacy Sims appeared first on The Betty Rocker.