Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each purpose to be excessive on the checklist for journey bucket lists.
Town is a mix of influences, there’s the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil battle and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat group and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and kinds.
Perhaps you need to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seaside in Barceloneta? It may very well be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda particular person and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, countless purchasing alternatives and Gaudi round what looks as if virtually each nook.
Both method, we have now the perfect of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: In search of extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve acquired a publish about our favourite meals & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely advocate. We even have extra posts on journey in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to search out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Ideas
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are just a few ideas that can assist you put together to your journey to Barcelona.
- Be aware of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The very best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are snug, and town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together just a few Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a primary grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you may get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep protected: Pickpockets are a giant downside in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you’re prone to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your telephone on a desk, preserve your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey sporting an expensive-looking watch and preserve your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the foods and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with a number of recent hearty components, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There may be additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite method to eat! Cava can be made within the area so respectable cava prices little or no. Take a meals and wine tour should you can to expertise it multi functional afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The right abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer group. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Convey snug strolling sneakers: Town is extremely walkable however components of it are hilly and you’ll cowl way more floor than you notice whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable sneakers you understand will preserve your toes joyful and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve acquired a Barcelona self-guided strolling tour – and we’ve additionally acquired ideas for the perfect strolling sneakers for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey sneakers for males and for girls.
- Completely different areas even have completely different hyperlinks to different components of town: The metro system is great and pretty straightforward to navigate however should you want to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you want to base your self strolling distance to the belongings you need to see or at the very least on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and modifications. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so remember the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condo leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot increased than is reasonably priced for residents and creating a variety of scams and disparity. Accommodations have been badly affected by the pandemic in order that they deserve the assist quite than grasping property homeowners who would quite depart an condo empty as a substitute of renting it for an inexpensive value to an area. There are even new legal guidelines proscribing vacationer licenses and you’re now not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out instances don’t sync up along with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your luggage, try LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a protected place to maintain your baggage when you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and enchantment. To the uninitiated, it’s possible you’ll battle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I acquired you coated!
As with many cities, there’s additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see customers swinging luggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy retailers promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that form of place!
This provides to the appeal of town, you’re all the time only a quick stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing fully completely different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make searching down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – all the things your coronary heart wishes will be present in Barcelona!
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers once they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of town. Stuffed with outdated winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, lovable eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will discover Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the perfect place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nevertheless, you do want to choose fastidiously as some streets are slightly shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in should you don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of town and is a brief stroll to the seaside, with components of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The realm can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry in case you are an early morning kind of particular person.
That is additionally the perfect place to base your self in case you are planning on taking our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona. Many of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a quick stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a mix of expensive lodges on this space in addition to some significantly funds hostels. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a type of good kinds of hostels with clear, vivid rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a fairly, outdated church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing slightly fancier Barcelona Resort Colonial is correct within the coronary heart of Gothic in an exquisite colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in another path takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as potential to the eccentric La Rambla then the Might Ramblas Resort is the one for you. It’s situated only some doorways down a aspect road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head all the way down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these wanting extra for the seaside vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually unimaginable to get misplaced. To 1 aspect is Port Vell, to the south is the seaside, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer season Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a good place to really feel you’re staying proper on the seaside with out lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis appeal. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different components of town however the seaside environment is nearly year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seaside bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are all the time folks skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are just a few bigger lodges on this space as you’ll anticipate with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark resort The W, lovely and epic views however out of funds for many vacationers! You’ll be able to nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, should you can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the street from the place the barrio begins, the Resort Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in direction of the marina. From right here you’ll be able to entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a quick stroll.
- Resort 54 Barceloneta is correct on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seaside, this could be my choose if going for the seaside resort choice. The rooftop bar can be like slightly backyard paradise, good for resting after an extended day of exploring.
- For a extra funds room, the Sea Hostel is a good choose for dorm room-style lodging, additionally it is subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seaside.
Welcome to Eixample, the realm that you simply’ll see most in aerial pictures of Barcelona, these good crimson sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by, it’s the place the designer retailers are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, except for the irritating crimson gentle cease/begin system which does make site visitors heavier right here. However most lodges have respectable sound insulation so you’ll be able to keep away from site visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona model with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and plenty of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply preserve stumbling into one other lovely constructing after one other, and should you get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The purchasing can be unimaginable right here with all the things from high-end designer shops, to excessive road purchasing, to impartial boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your luggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can be very well related with public transport, the buses run often and there are a variety of metro stations in addition to practice stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Final Packing Checklist: 43 Should-Have Journey Objects (by a Full-Time Journey Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’ll anticipate there isn’t a scarcity of lodges in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end lodges. Listed below are some fo the perfect ones:
- Once I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of and it’s the place I like to recommend pals to remain for an important worth resort. The workers was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are vivid and cozy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Resort Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a good alternative, and although the worth is slightly increased it’s not eye-watering. You can go all out for a collection with a personal terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the odor of recent bread and pastries then you want to guide Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply be certain to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the enduring Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your predominant purpose for visiting Barcelona, and no person will decide you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You’ll be able to meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and usually gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant selections aren’t the finest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and simple to get to different components of town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, in case you are staying on this space then you definately completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most affordable rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced lodges price checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced flats with an exquisite shared roof terrace overlooking the enduring church. Right here you may get the bonus of a personal condo whereas nonetheless having the chance to get pleasure from a shared area with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has vivid rooms, an important breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic method to spend a day should you ask me!
In search of a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an impartial city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and pleased with their neighborhood.
Now the realm is fashionable and filled with impartial retailers, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place folks hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato retailers close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however appears like a distinct world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are largely pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The realm can be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively generally known as the perfect. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the perfect decor. Though bear in mind should you go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t anticipate any peace and quiet, the events can go on all evening!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary alternative amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit slightly hidden gem, and lodges are typically slightly cheaper too.
- Resort Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with an exquisite inside courtyard backyard connected to the resort bar. It is usually only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly completely different however it’s barely extra exterior the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in lodges are an actual deal with however they do get busy so keep in mind to order a solar lounger to your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona
If you’re like the remainder of Workforce Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you’ll be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a good place to journey along with your furry finest good friend.
Most eating places are accommodating, a variety of retailers have water bowls exterior for passing canine and it isn’t unusual to see canine becoming a member of purchasing journeys. My canine loves coming purchasing, it often means getting a number of love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you’ll be able to carry your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nevertheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Might to October) canine aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the canine seaside simply exterior the principle metropolis middle.
Once I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve just a few pals who’ve additionally carried out the identical. Plenty of lodges are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So should you journey along with your little good friend these are the perfect locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is correct reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the best parks for canine within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine homeowners with pups enjoying on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can be a brief stroll to the seaside and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and elegance, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There may be additionally a beautiful outside space to get pleasure from an aperitif.
- Resort Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular bundle for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There may be additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of: This resort has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran By way of resort and it was actually unimaginable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the workers are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and very well situated for accessing the remainder of town.
READ THIS POST
How you can Be a Extra Accountable Vacationer: a Traveler's Information to Moral Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly protected and there are few areas to keep away from, these are often simply sure streets quite than entire areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious quite than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however in case you are an skilled traveler and preserve your wits about you, you’ll be wonderful. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has a variety of poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of dwelling and housing right here.
There may be additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless folks in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from town totally as nobody space is healthier than others.
Other than that, there are some areas of town which are simply not price staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually whenever you hear tales of pickpockets, you’re listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west aspect of La Rambla.
The realm is charming in its personal method, however I wouldn’t advocate it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence at the hours of darkness isn’t advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: If you’re nonetheless on the lookout for the quirky outdated city model that components of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. Might Ramblas Resort is nicely situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of town and may be very residential. Housing will be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a distinct clientele than what most vacationers can be concerned with.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout town will be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be an extended stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra appeal and simpler entry to the remainder of town. Additionally contemplate Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
Should you hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, additionally it is near the enduring Montjuïc which is fantastic to discover. You too can go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nevertheless, to get wherever you have to to leap on the metro or practice, it’s nicely related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of town you’ll have fairly an extended stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can gradual you down.
Additionally as it’s a predominant transport connection level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which might get overwhelming in case you are determining get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For simple entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you want to be in addition to the Sants cease does. It is usually a predominant level for the airport shuttle buses to begin from, which is by far the best method to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is very well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s numerous data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we have now an at a look abstract:
- The Greatest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Greatest Accommodations in Barcelona: Greatest choices are Barcelona Resort Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Greatest Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can not beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and quick time period condo leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities world wide. Discovering an precise residence within the metropolis is an actual downside and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical particular person can’t afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t carried out a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we advocate you to be a accountable traveler and select to remain in lodges as a substitute, which have been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the finest concepts of the place to remain so you’ll be able to plan the remainder of your journey! While you’re within the starting stage don’t overlook to enroll in our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you’re most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback beneath
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? Now we have explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!